Thursday, February 7, 2013

OMG, Did You Make That?!

Jason looks dubious, but I expect the VT ear flap hat with pom pom to be a big seller!
 Yes, yes I did.  For pretty much every baby shower I have attended for the last decade, I have made the recipient a baby blanket or hat.  I have a lot of fun making them, picking out different color combos or going with somebody's "theme".  And for a long time people have said "You should sell them!"  But logistically, here's the problem:  (1) I don't have free weekends to man a booth at the local craft fairs and (2) you can't make someone a custom order if you're sitting at a folding table selling your hats.  
Carrie gave me the push I needed to go ahead and open a store on Etsy.  If you want to check out my store, click here.  Carrie also gave me a kick-ass name for said store, so let me introduce you to Hippity Hoppity Hats!  Do I plan on quitting my day job and selling thousands of hats every month?  No.  With over 56,000 stores dedicated to crochet on Etsy, chances are my store will go a month or more without even one view.  But I'm not trying to get rich here.  I'm trying to channel my hobby into something that could make other people happy.
And don't forget, I do custom orders! :)
 Emily is super jealous of my "photo shoots" with Jason, so she got Timmy's hat out of the closet and said "take my picture"!
The sad life of a hat model--sometimes the boy has to wear the girly hat with a flower.

My photo assistants

Score!  A decent pic for the website!

My hat model is so demanding....

I figured that a plate of river rocks would be a good substitute for those times that Jason has a model-moment breakdown.

Scalloped edges!  Pretty flower!  Any size from preemie to toddler!  And for only $12?!

Carrie suggested I wrap it up nicely, so here's what you get in the mail when you order.

A computer, ink, $3.97 Avery pack of business cards, and anyone can open a store.

Did I mention I do custom orders?!  School colors / colleges / etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment