Thursday, June 27, 2013

Beginner Blankets


 Truth be told, I learned to crochet in possibly the worse "beginner way" possible--by making a huge blanket for my mom for Mother's Day back in my sophomore year of college.  I spent 3-5 hours almost nightly for three months doing row after row of shell patterns to create a striped jewel tone blanket big enough to be used a twin bed bedspread!  I'm much more likely to make hats now because I've been lucky enough to have pretty good business through my Etsy store (https://www.etsy.com/shop/HippityHoppityHats) .  In fact, when I go on Google and search for "baby boy visor hats", my shop is the third website that pulls up and under images, three of my hats are in the first row, including the first image to appear!  So exciting!  But I was starting to burn out a little on constant elf hats, baseball hats, and visor hats, so I took a break from the norm to learn the Granny Square.  Believe it or not, it's very simple, and I can't believe it took 14+ years before I even thought to tackle that stitch!  
So I have made 3 blankets so far.  The first was for Emily, because when she sees me crochet she says "Is that for me?  Or for a baby?".  And it's about time she got to benefit from my hobby!  So her blanket is yellow and pink and called "Pink Lemonade".  The next blanket I did was the one above and below.  The color combo is called "Aidan" and it's a combo of bright white, denim blue and chocolate brown.  I did the blanket as a basic giant Granny Square.  I think it turned out well for only my second Granny Square blanket!  (Third blanket is still a work in progress....)  There is something very soothing about a Granny Square with all the holes to poke little fingers and toes through!

No comments:

Post a Comment