Friday, October 7, 2016

Library Fun: Giant Coloring Page!

 Even though English classes visit every other week, I see kids all day long, every single day.  Sometimes they want a specific book, and sometimes they just want a safe haven from the mean, cruel world where they can hang out with their friends and discuss Minecraft.  So I've been adding passive stations around the library that don't require a huge time commitment or a lot of work.  For instance, I made these giant coloring pages from a roll of art paper from IKEA and a permanent marker.  I just free handed a bunch of shapes and design, adding lots of pattern, and put out a big cup of markers and colored pencils.  The kids love it!  They have already finished one, which I promptly hung up above the doors in the back of the library.  Once they finish the next one, it will go right next to the first one and make a giant border around the room.  Anything to cover that nasty wood paneling!  And it adds lots of color to the library.  
Surprisingly, the students haven't written bad words or drawn bad pictures on the coloring sheets.  They seem to take the coloring very seriously.  I have a student helper during 2nd period (she dislocated her knee and can't participate in gym for 2 months, so she comes to the library instead of the gym) and she helped me make the next coloring sheet, so I have one in reserve.  I might start theming them out (autumn, then Christmas, then winter/snow, etc.) but for now, they are just random pics and patterns for the kids to color.




No comments:

Post a Comment