Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Join the Club...

Babysitter's Club, that is. Caroline has an awesome English teacher who requires 30 minutes or more of reading every night (Saturday and Sunday too!). She has to keep a log and I have to sign it every day. Nothing like me getting homework, too, but at least it keeps the kids accountable. Well, Caroline has pretty much breezed through everything on Mrs. Ericson's bookshelf. I was having a little bit of a nostalgic flashback and decided to hit Borders (before they went out of business) and get her some good ole-fashioned reading from my day--The Babysitter's Club! I originally was on a mission to find the wholesome series "Sweet Valley Twins" but to my dismay, a clerk from the bookstore, who had to look up where to find the series, informed me that the books were...out of print! I just about sobbed right there on the floor. The clerk, who was all of about 17 years old, gave me a look like "I wasn't trained for situations like these". Suffice it to say, I was a little bitter that I had tossed my entire series into the Salvation Army collection bin when I left for college. But they still had the Babysitter's Club...sort of. They all have new covers, and there's only 1-4 on the shelf, so I snatched those up and hope to find more. For now, Caroline loves the series. And she looks forward to reading every night, and she reads way past the 30 minute requirement. And that's the best part....that she will hopefully be a life-long reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment