Saturday, December 17, 2011

This Room is Occupied!

The new addition, that is. Timmy has worked endless nights and weekends to complete the addition off the back of the house and we are finally able to use it! We haven't had our final inspection yet--they won't come out until we dig the footers for the deck off the back (which was in the plans we submitted to KG County but wasn't in the budget til this spring). But the inspector said that we can use the room and then for the final inspection, just move any furniture off the walls. While dealing with King George inspectors has been a little bit of a hair-pulling process, it's good to know that if we ever sell in the future, we can add this room as additional square footage (over 200 more square feet!).
Caroline, looking very sassy in the new room. At this point, we had just bought the new area rug and that was pretty much the only thing in the room. Emily wanted us to drag in the old rocking chair from Garrett's room (it was my rocking chair as a baby, so this thing has some miles on it!

The "new" couch, the sequel. This is the old blue couch from the set I bought almost 11 years old. We sold the set to Jen and Rusty a couple of years ago when we bought a new set after our wedding. Well, Jen never ended up using it, so we bought it back! The navy blue of the couch wasn't looking so hot with the "ocean view" walls, so I got a nice tan "velour like" slipcover. Presto, chango, good as new! With a chocolate throw and new throw pillows from Walmart, it's extremely comfortable!


Timmy has been adamant about several things going in the room once it was finished, and this harpoon that my dad had for years was one of those things. We got some tie backs that would normally keep curtains out of your windows and used them to hold the harpoon above the double doors. With the fishing lure hanging off the rope, it looks very sexy! (as sexy as whale hunting equipment can look, I guess....)


This nook was the perfect spot to put my two floating shelves. The computer desk will go right below the shelves as soon as Timmy or I get a hankering to move and sort 173 different wires and cables. The three pencil boxes hold markers, sharpened pencils, and colored pencils, so maybe I will be able to find those supplies when I actually need them! :)


I picked up this bookcase from IKEA last week after I saw how awesome it looked at Carrie's house this summer. I bought 4 bins to go in it for holding blocks, books, and small baby toys. The eight spots are perfect for all of Emily's stuff, and the equipment for the tv (Wii, DirecTV box, etc) can fit right on top.


What's next? Timmy is going out tomorrow to get the new TV! We've been searching the Sunday ads every week, looking for great deals, but Timmy is also very specific in his requirements for this new TV (something to do with 1080, and megahertz, and something else? I don't listen very well....I'm usually glazing over at this point). So I left that task up to him. My only request? No bigger than 47 inches wide so that it fits perfectly between the speakers. This room is not that big....let's not treat it like a movie theater! At this point, he can buy whatever he wants. I'm just happy the room was finished before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment