Saturday, January 28, 2012

Baby Blanket of a Different Kind

So if you follow my sister's blog (talesfromtheouthouse.blogspot.com) you know that she is "deeply ingrained" in a new hobby--quilting. And she's got some mad fabric cutting and sewing skills. Those quilts are off the chain! I am the lucky recipient of two--one for Emily and one for the family. Now, I used to do a little quilting--nothing special--and I found it tedious and exhausting. Nowadays, I doubt I could find two whole hours straight to cut fabric and sew it together. And since Emily has to reside on my hip on a daily basis--and I rarely visit a restroom without her companionship, let alone use scissors and a sewing machine--I don't think quilting needs to be my "comeback". So it's back to crocheting, a skill I learned in college and have dabbled in throughout the years. I'll make a baby blanket here, a baby hat there, the occasional scarf, but nothing too crazy. But I was very motivated to make a blanket for a fellow teacher at my school since her shower is next week. I knew that she was going with bright colors, like lime green for the walls in the nursery, from her posts on Facebook, and a quick look at her registry revealed a zebra print changing table cover. Hence, a color scheme was born. I've recently gotten into using multiple types of stitches in one blanket, as you see below. I used a single chain for the green and black and a double chain for the white. I also left a row of "peek a boo" holes in the black and green so that I could weave in ribbon when I was finished.



Close up of ribbon




I decided to try something new (for me)--a ruffled edge. It was pretty simple and I don't think it turned out "too girly"--Bethany isn't finding out the sex, so I had to keep it pretty gender neutral. Even my ribbon was very basic--just a solid color with a white stitch down the middle. Nothing that screams "boy!" or "girl!" I hope!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Love it! You're so talented! I would love to learn to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out amazing!!! I love this blanket, and am so lucky Britton has a "Jessica original" :).

    ReplyDelete