Sunday, August 18, 2013

Flip My Family Room

My family room was put together about a year ago (when we moved) with very little thought.  I basically took everything from our addition and put it in the new room.  My decorating style was kind of beachy/modern/traditional/anything I thought was cute.  I had a bunch of kids to take care of and a whole house of furniture to move, so the family room never got a second look.  We threw in the couches, rolled out a rug, and plugged in a tv.....done!  
When I go on summer vacation, I tend to get a little obsessed with a re-do project.  This summer, I happened to come across a pic of a living room redone for a blog.  It was a beach theme and I loved it!  See pic below:
 As I laid out the pictures that I already had on hand, I started to see just how ginormous this was going to get.  So I had to scale back by about 3 paintings.  I already had my favorite large piece--the print with the fishing boats.  I also had two prints that my mom brought back for me from Bon Aire Island in South America, one she got for me in the Cayman Islands, and two that I ordered from Etsy.  I needed letters to make the "SEA" and two small round mirrors.  I ended up finding both at Hobby Lobby....on sale!  Letters were less than $5 each and mirrors were $4.49 each!
Now that we had the decorations in order, Timmy and I lucked out by "inheriting" my sister's sectional sofa.  It didn't end up fitting where we had old set of couches (see pic below) so we did a huge switch-a-roo and put the sectional on the other wall and moved the tv.
Family room "before"

Family room "after"!

Notice the new picture arrangement and sectional!

Now the TV is on a swivel mount that you can tilt to any angle, making that obnoxious glare we used to get gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment