Sunday, August 8, 2010

Baby Drinks' Room! The drama continues...

So the drama is relatively minor. I went to Hampton Va yesterday (Sat) morning to pick up a crib from my cousin Stephanie. Her little boy Gavin is now in his "big boy bed" so she had asked a couple of months ago if I wanted to use his crib (free crib?! Ummm...yes please). So yesterday was pick up day. I made the trip down in about two hours, loaded up the crib, drove back two hours to KG, unloaded the crib, started putting it together (I like immediate gratification) and discovered....the crib has drop sides. Meaning you can push on the bar and the side facing you goes down. Now, I am a faithful reader on my Baby Center message board (because these ladies are CRAZY, not because I necessarily want advice) and several have left postings about the dangers of drop side cribs. Not taking their word for it, I google the topic and find out that 153 babies have died in the last four years because of these cribs (even if you don't drop the side down and up, the hardware can break and cause strangulation or allow the baby to fall out of the crib). Well, about this time Tim gets home from work. He asks me what's wrong, and I explain the issue (in fact, at this point I am still on Google, and I see several articles about how the Feds are going to make all cribs stationary (no drop sides) by December 2011. Really, how do you still use the crib? If something goes wrong, the guilt would kill me. So Tim looks at the crib, looks at me, and says "Get your flippity flops, we are going to town for a new crib". I grab my $115 gift cards for Target that I saved from Christmas (bonus!) and we purchase the Graco Charleston crib which got stellar reviews. Remember that immediate gratification part? Tim and I put the crib together last night and I spruced up the room. Check it out below! I was about to pay mucho bucks for some wall art online, when I remembered I have in-residence artists! So I gave Garrett and Caroline free reign and some watercolors and got some amazing wall art for above the crib!
I crocheted a quilt for baby with nice, bright colors. Took me about 6 days and I really have the crocheting bug back! My friend Mel needs to find out the sex of her baby-to-be pronto so I can start on another one! (See Butters the Cat in the bottom right? Curiosity almost killed the cat, in that I will be killing her if she paws at my new quilt again! Warning to you Butters!)

Close up of bedding. Loved the beachy ocean theme, and the best part? $15 for everything at a yard sale! (It's called "A Whale's Tale" from Ivy and Lamb)

New crib, artwork, and pink curtains...a girl has to have something pink in her room!

Found this adorable wall hanging at Hobby Lobby while visiting Carrie in OKC!

Shelf above changing table: two pic frames, crab Beanie Baby, and shells from Caroline

Changing table with summer-colored baskets from Michaels, sea horse pillow, manatee stuffed animal courtsey of Caroline, and diaper holder stocked with 200 poop catchers.

Cool sign I got on clearance at Michaels ($1.99 ya'll!). Has all the colors of the room and shows off my "beachy" theme!

Thanks to Caroline for sharing her room with her new sister! This is her bed with new bedding, new paint color on walls (Caroline picked it out--"Free Fall"), and her name to stake out this as her territory! Notice Butters escaping to the right...she was a little miffed that I interrupted her third nap of the morning to take pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment