Sunday, June 26, 2011

Slow and Steady Builds an Addition

Whenever anyone asks me how the addition is coming along, they are greeted by one of three responses: an eye roll, a smirk, or a sigh. Tim can only work on the house a couple of hours every afternoon, and that's when he fits it in between crab pots and other stuff. And with our recent trip to Dallas, the house (and crab pots) weren't touched for a week. And if it's a week that leads up to Tim's school day? Forget it. Most of those evenings are devoted to school work. So you can see that the addition we started last year, which I thought would be finished for Caroline's birthday sleepover, is crawling along at a pretty slow rate. It is at the stage now where only Tim can work on it: finishing up the siding, installing the insulation, putting on outside doors, and routing the new AC/heating ductless system. Once drywall is up, I can jump in and help with flooring and painting, the only two areas of this renovation that I am comfortable working on. And since I'm not willing to spend my nights on the internet learning how to build a deck and my days with a baby in the Bjorn nailing up boards, I have to grin and bear it as my husband putters away at this addition. Who knows? Maybe it will be ready for Christmas guests. One whole side of siding up in a day!

The other side of the addition--almost done, except for the siding above the windows, which will have to be finagled into place.


Inside the addition. Those double doors will be moved to the outside of the addition. Then they will be replaced with inside french doors.


The outside of the addition, taken from the backyard. See that open space behind the flap? That will be the doors that lead inside the addition. See those rickety steps? They are temporary, until we build the 4 x 8 landing and permanent steps.

Paint samples for the new room--I LOVE the second from the right on the top strip. It's called Kind Regards. It will look great with the white trim and brown floors.


Area rug at Home Depot that makes me giddy every time I see it! We're getting this one once I have a floor to put it on. It's Mohawk Ink Swirl area rug in Cocoa. I love the combo of brown, tan, and blue. It's a very shaggy rug that will feel awesome underfoot.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen that rug and I really love it too! It doesn't fit any of our color schemes in our house but I was looking at it. Sounds like Tim is a busy man! Love the pic of your kids at the top of your blog. We'll have to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete