Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Deer Neighbors

 One more reason that I actually like living in King George.  It may be a good half hour from decent shopping (that would be a Target and local mall) and we may only have one middle school, but darn it, where else could I live and get to hang out with wildlife like this?!  Every day at noon the kids and I see these two deer brothers ( to be honest, I haven't been close enough to see if they are boys or girls and frankly, would have no idea what to look for.  I just assume they are brothers).  Timmy and I have named them "Target" and "Practice".  They are so freaking CUTE!  Big ears, lots of spots, and they seem to lack fear when we hang out in the driveway and watch them munching on crab apples.  
 You know how many deer I saw growing up in Virginia Beach?  ONE.  He was in a cage at the Norfolk Zoo.  No lie.  The only deer I ever saw in 18 years was a white tailed deer on display.... in a zoo.  So I still get giddy when I see them running through yards in my new neighborhood.



 Emily could hardly stand it.  She had to get a closer look.  They seemed to ignore her at first, but as you can see in the pictures below, as she inches closer to them, they start to head to the left.

And then they bolted!  Pranced on over to the other neighbor's yard, and out of Emily's sight.  Oh well.  They have been back every day since, and I consider them some of my friendliest neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment