Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mother's Intuition

Call it what you want, but Thursday morning I had the feeling that something was off with Baby. I woke up several times to make my trip to the potty and never felt the kicks and shifts that usually accompany my settling back into bed. I was very aware of the lack of movement when I got up at 5 AM and ate my waffle and pb. I drank a huge glass of water and still nothing. I got the kids ready, headed off to work, and promised myself that I wouldn't panic. After first period, I made the conscious effort to sit in my reclining desk chair, which usually causes a few stirs. But nothing. Ignoring my GD diet, I downed a regular Coke. Nothing. So when it reached 10 AM and I hadn't felt a movement since the night before, I decided to call the doctor's office. Their response: "How soon can you get here?" I was off like a shot and made the drive to Fredericksburg in 19 minutes. They immediately took me back and hooked me up to the monitor. It took the nurse about 15 seconds to find the heartbeat, and I am pretty sure I didn't breathe that entire time. Once I was all hooked up, the doctor came in and checked my progress. Baby's heartbeat was steady between 110-125 bpm, but was not fluctuating with activity and I still had felt nothing. The doctor pointed out that I was having contractions, too. Add that to the GD and insulin, and she sent me to L&D to be monitored. I got an NST at the hospital, then headed down to radiology for a biophysical profile. Baby looked great on that (score: 8/8) and when I was wheeled back up, the doctor said "We're admitting her, take her to room 3077. I will be in to explain." Well, that will freak you out! So Dr. M came in and explained that when I was monitored earlier, baby's heartrate fell to 95 bpm for a couple of minutes. She was going to be overly cautious and monitor me for 24 hours. Also, I had a UTI and needed IV antibiotics.
Long story short.....IVs in your hand hurt like a bitch, IV fluids make you pee every half hour, UTIs apparently don't always cause burning, and baby had a beautiful read out from the monitor. She had great accelerations and decelerations and was very active from 5 PM on. I was allowed to go home 10 AM Friday morning. I will be back at work tomorrow with the hopes that my doctor appt @ 3 pm gives me some great news--an induction date.

No comments:

Post a Comment