Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

It's impossible to not reflect back on your year when Christmas and New Year's roll around. I cannot believe how the time has flown by! In one year's time I have gotten married, gotten pregnant, and had another baby....wow. Pretty busy by anyone's standards, I would guess. Timmy and I were just talking about how the baby brings about a paradox of feelings: on one hand, I feel like I just had her, like she's still so little and new and five weeks feels like five minutes. On the other hand, my next thoughts are "I feel like we've had Emily in our family forever. The last five weeks feel like five years." Even though Thanksgiving is the traditional time to give thanks for what you have, I think it's even more appropriate during Christmastime.
1. I am thankful for my family. Yes, I may have to travel to see them most of the time, but I have family, and that is more than what some people have.
2. I am thankful for my husband. It took a long bumpy road to find him, but it's like I had a piece of the puzzle missing for so long and he was the perfect fit.
3. I am thankful for my healthy happy baby. The internet was too forth-coming with all the bad things that can go wrong with a pregnancy. When you think about it, it's a miracle that any baby makes it through nine months of pregnancy and childbirth safe. There were so many times that something could have gone wrong, and it didn't. She's here, she's wonderful, and I am thankful every day for that.
4. I am thankful for my older kids. Their independence and responsibility are shocking at times. I have helpers when Emily needs something, and they are old enough to get breakfast, get dressed, and get out of the door for school when I have been up all night. Garrett and Caroline are just nice kids and being a teacher, I have seen my fair share of brats and bullies. I am thankful that I didn't raise any even if I have to teach some.
5. I am thankful for my dog. Sable was the ultimate teacher: patience, kindness, encouragement. She could give a bear hub like no one's business. She taught my children to love something other than themselves.

Christmas Memories 2010 Emily's first ornament (thank you Aunt Carrie!) from Disney World
Emily's first Christmas
Timmy, Mary Jo, and John. Mary and John are due with Baby Brooklyn in about 4 weeks.
Mary and John's dog Pepper will have to learn to share their affection. Her "sister" will be here soon!

Hanging out on Dad's lap.
Caroline got a bed from Santa for her American Girl doll but Emily insisted on trying it out first.

Me and Baby.

Caroline on Christmas Morning
Garrett got a skateboard (hence the helmet) and a whole pile of other goodies. I would say the kids were on Santa's "nice" list this year.
Emily got fussy from all the Christmas commotion. She was promptly swaddled, passed out, and had a nice nap with daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, what a sweet entry! And I love the new background--I didn't see that one when I was updating mine! :)

    ReplyDelete