Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Just "Plane" Adorable Bedroom!

 With three days off work (school is over, robotics camp starts up next week) and Emily still in daycare (because I have 2 days of training and 5 days of camp coming up, and it didn't make sense to mess up the routine for just a few days) I decided to get some things wrapped up in the new baby's room.  Yes, I still have 18 weeks to go.  But my deadline is not 40 weeks--it's 32 weeks.   Because that's when I have to go back to work and there will be no time to do this room!  
What I thought would be an easy paint and border job turned ugly.  The previous owners used latex primer on all the wood trim, so it doesn't stick at all.  You can use your fingernail and peel off an entire section of paint!  So Tim and I had to scrap all of the woodwork before we could even get started.  Also, the previous owners had big storage towers from a closet system in the room and they cut out the baseboards to make the systems stand up against the walls.  So Tim is currently replacing two walls of baseboard trim.
Once we got the room scraped and primed, it was time to start painting.  I knew I wanted to do a border so we did two blues--Moroccan for the top and Blue Chaise for the bottom.  The airplane border goes with two very personal items for the baby's room:  2 airplane prints that were in my dad's room when he was growing up and 3 metal plane decorations that were in Timmy's room when he was a baby.
 I found this hand print and foot print set on sale at Walmart for $5.  It had monkeys on it, which didn't really work with the room.  So I peeled the monkeys off and used 3-D stickers of airplanes and clouds that I found at Hobby Lobby for a couple of bucks.  I thought it turned out great!
We installed a new ceiling fan (goodbye wicker and brass!) and I bought the valance from Amazon.  It was a little pricey but matched the colors in the room perfectly.  Now we just need to finish up the baseboards and reattach the closet doors.  Our crib will be coming with Aunt Carrie and the changing table is currently being stored at the in-laws' house (we stuck it there during the move).  Once the furniture is in place, I can add the last of the wall decorations....including his name ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment