Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blast From the Past Bathroom

 The "important" rooms in our house were remodeled before we moved in:  kitchen, upstairs bathroom, master bathroom, etc.  For unknown reasons, the previous owners saw no problem with the completely outdated bathroom downstairs.  We don't use it for showers or anything--it's just a guest potty for when we're downstairs and a laundry room.  But it's....time warped.  And now that I've recovered from painting every square inch of this house, it might be time to take on the "blast from the past" bathroom project.
 "Wooden" tracks for the ceiling tiles have to go.  I'm just going to paint them white.  Then they will blend in with the ceiling tiles, which are new.  The vinyl floor is relatively new and in great shape with neutral colors.  It's staying too.  The tub and toilet are "harvest gold"--not my favorite, but not worth tearing out a tub that we never use and keep covered with a snazzy shower curtain.
 See the wallpaper?  Ducks, people.  That is what surrounds me while on the commode.  Ducks.  So they are getting primed and painted.  Forget that junk about not painting over wallpaper--this stuff is glued to the walls like we're in a bomb shelter, and we hardly go in here--not much chance for the walls to get messed up.  So we're painting.  The trim and paneled sections will be a medium tan.  The walls will be a lighter tan/dark cream (on a paint sample strip, imagine that the walls are the second option down and the paneling and trim are the fourth option down).
 The sink is a basic laundry sink, but it's in good condition and the vanity is brand new.  So they stay.  A new seat for the toilet that doesn't scream "geriatric" is in order too.
Switch plate covers are being switched out for basic white models.  See those boards that surround the sink like a back splash?  I am pretty sure that they are stained/sealed 1x4.  So I plan to find a 1-inch mosaic tile in white/cream/tan that I can cover the boards with.  Add a jazzy detail while covering something that looks like we nailed up a pine board to protect our precious paneling from water damage.
When?  Hopefully I can get started this week before we go on vacation to Nags Head.  I did most of my other painting after Emily went to bed, and Timmy is working nights this week, so that will keep me busy.  Since Timmy will be trying to sleep during the day, maybe Emily and I will journey to the F'Burg to look for tiles and paint.  
Why?  I didn't think that the outdated bathroom was that big a deal before, but now I see that it's a total eyesore.  And it will take only a little effort and money to get it looking great.  We already have a "beachy" theme going on in there (shower curtain, picture above toilet) so the sandy color on the walls and trim should look awesome.  I'm debating on hanging a curtain over the laundry opening--would I spend too much time just pulling it back to load in dirty clothes?  Would I actually use it to cover up the area?  Decisions, decisions!

1 comment:

  1. I painted over wall paper before and it turned out fine. I'd cover the laundry area if it were me with some low cost curtains on clips- that way you don't think "laundry" every time you are in there. I'm about to redo a bathroom too-share the process-I love DIY projects!

    ReplyDelete