Monday, October 4, 2010

Ultrasound 10.4.10

Profile pics from today! The top one was super-close, and the second two are a little farther back (in the middle one, she has her hands bunched up under her chin). The third one is clearest, and shows the forehead, chin, and nose!
So good news: Baby D has flipped! She is no longer breech (for now). Ultrasound tech said I had plenty of fluid, so she may try to turn around again, but Baby D is pretty jammed in there now. Her face was pressed against the uterine wall--it's a tight fit in there!
Different news: Perinatalogist was an odd guy--man of little words who just stared at the screen while doing the scan and never made small talk. He freaked me out by focusing on the heart for about 10 minutes. When I asked if everything was ok, he said "Yes. I'm just a typical man--we can't multi-task. So I look for a while then do the talking after that". Ummmm....ok. Just don't scare the crap out of me by staring intently at my baby's heart with a deadpan look on your face, mister! Also, he said she's measuring right on target--20th percentile for 33 weeks gestation. I asked if that was ok (telling me she's "average" would lead me to believe everything is ok). His response: "Well, it's not where I expected her to be. With your history of big babies and gestational diabetes that has basically been uncontrolled for 30 weeks, I would expect her to be in the 80-90th percentile range. We'll have to keep an eye on her growth."
Now keep in mind: (1) This guy is upset with "average" growth; (2) he doesn't take into account my change of gene pool for this baby-- i.e, Tim and I have never had a baby before for comparison and everyone on Tim's side is average sized; (3) obviously the GD diet is working if it prevents large babies!
So What's the Deal? I am going back for NST next Tuesday, followed by more growth scans. She is not anywhere near "growth restricted" (she would have to be in the 5th percentile or lower). I go to my regular dr. tomorrow, and believe me, I'm going to be grilling her about what this dr. is talking about. I'm not panicked, just concerned that the dr. seems to think it "might" end up being a problem. I need the opinion of the dr. I've been seeing all year, not just this one perinatalogist to ease my mind. At the very least, this means they will be keeping a close eye on the baby girl, which makes me feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment